Slow cooked pork shoulder tacos with a spicy Mexican marinade - the perfect way to celebrate this underused but much loved cut of meat.
Level Up Your Midweek Meal with a Signature Mexican Dish
Pork shoulder is ideal for marinating in advance, before slow cooking to create juicy and tender pulled pork which just falls apart.
This marvellous meat marinates overnight with a special blend of spices and aromatics, as well as fresh lime juice, tomato and chipotle paste - for an authentic Mexican flavour.
Once the meat is fork-tender, pull into strips and pile into taco shells before topping with fresh chilli, coriander and grated cheese.
It's the perfect midweek meal upgrade you can make in the morning before enjoying with minimal effort in the evening.
Thomas Joseph Butchery 7 Day Dry Aged, Free Range Pork Shoulder
Pork shoulder is an inexpensive cut of meat which is ideal for cooking low and slow, allowing the meat to tenderise and cling on to it's delicious natural juices.
We love pork shoulder cooked long and low in the oven, for a wonderful Sunday roast centrepiece. It is also really versatile and the ideal ingredient for slow cooker recipes such as this one.
Our Free Range Pork Shoulder
is dry aged for 7 days to allow the maximum flavour to develop. It is deboned by our expert butchers so that all you need to do is remove the skin before cooking.
Here's how to make the perfect slow cooked pulled pork tacos.
SLOW COOKED MEXICAN PULLED PORK TACOS RECIPE
- 100g Organic farmhouse butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 limes, zest & juice
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chilli paste
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons hot chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Taco shells
- Grated cheese
- Sliced jalapeños
- Begin by making the marinade a day in advance: melt the butter in a small saucepan on a low heat, once melted add the dried spices and simmer for 1-2 minutes until fragrant
- Add the spiced melted butter to a small bowl followed by the remainder of the marinade ingredients - whisking until combined
- Chop your pork into large chunks and add to a ziplock freezer bag followed by the marinade, seal and massage until your meat is coated - before popping into the fridge overnight
- Remove the meat from the fridge and allow it to reach room temperature before transferring to a preheated casserole dish or slow cooker pot
- Cover with a lid and cook in the oven at 160C, or on the lowest slow cooker setting, for 6-8 hours until the meat is tender and falls apart
- Shred the meat using a fork and add a couple of tablespoons of pulled pork to each taco shell
- Garnish with sliced jalapeños, fresh coriander and grated cheese - then enjoy!
SHOPPING LIST ESSENTIALS 👇